Technology means transforming what is
Daily weather on your lockscreen
Tells you the weather like a human does, by the time you wake up.
Lead developer and co-product lead. Still actively working on this. Used it to learn Parse platform. Experimenting with algorithmic content generation and the lockscreen/push notifications as content medium.
Tech I used: obj-c, js, Parse service
Pseudonymous group messaging app: "Share thoughts with people like you"
Co-developer, co-creator. A labor of love, but never clicked with users. Biggest rails backend I've built, with decent testing framework and worker queue. There’s lots here that I’m still waiting for a more prominent product to deliver.
Tech I used: obj-c, rails
eBook-style highlighting for real-world books
Updated this app to address 2 years of UX/UI issues and feature requests. Used it to learn ios. The big stumbling block to this being better is the so-so proprietary OCR we’re using.
Tech I used: obj-c
Hudson River Trading
I was an algorithm developer, coder and trader for 6 years, as the company went from 10 people to 100+. I learned a huge amount about problem solving and data science, and how much more important steady application of intelligence is to hard problems than genius. I give myself a B at this job — i was never that into finance, but loved working with smart people.
Tech I used: c++, perl, python, shell scripting
- Intro/summary for recruiters
- Consulting/freelance: $125/hr. No surprises.
Key: one icon for each year of experience;
color indicates how positive or negative I feel about the language.
- My github gists
- The Maker’s Pledge: a proposal
- Quiz game circuit project for kids (from The Best of Make Magazine)
- What I tell recruiters
- How Product Hunt really works
- Using the Colemak keyboard layout
- On utopian languages and keyboard layouts
- What's the story behind the West Village's DIY electric car? (from Make Magazine)
- What to try when typing hurts
- On the nature of tech product work
- Programming is Supposed to Be Messy (from TechStars' Startup Institute)